Sunday, April 20, 2008

Wind Follower - My thoughts



I recently plowed through Wind Follower by Carole McDonnell. Even the opening line snagged my attention:
I will tell you first how Krika died.


Often is the case that I must motivate myself to keep trying, to give the book a chance, but I didn't need to do that with Wind Follower. I'm also guilty of 'reading' over text with most everything I read and I hardly did that with Wind Follower. That's a big compliment coming from me.

It's a love story written from the first person point of view from her two main characters: Satha and Loic. Each chapter takes turns between Loic and Satha, where the scene continues, from a different point of view. When there is a minor overlap, it works well.

Although they were both born into different wealthy clans, Satha's was destroyed by the Angleni so that Satha and her family are living in poverty when she meets Loic. Loic is instantly smitten with Satha and wants to marry her.

The evil third wife hatches a devious plot to seek her revenge on Loic's father and his clan, and from there Loic and Satha's life unravel and their lives are torn apart, and from each other.

At this point the story takes a different turn and we learn what the spirits are truelly capable of doing. Satha and Loic are now battling different demons and time begins to pass leaving you wondering if they'll find each other. As I'm one of the rare ones who will read ahead, I knew what would happen. (So please, if you read a book, see a movie, tell me everything, I really do want to know.)

Carole invented an amazing labyrinth of new terms, traditions and beliefs, that truly complimented her story. At times I did use the glossary in the back as there are so many characters, traditions, clans and different names used to describe the same people. I think, in life, we encounter many people so a complex story needs many characters and it worked out nicely in Wind Follower.

My only gripe is that I didn't completely like the way it ended, other than that, I highly recommend Wind Follower by Carole McDonnell! The story doesn't bore you with needless chatter and page fillers, it moves quickly, and will keep you engaged.

4 comments:

Tia Nevitt said...

Wow; you read that fast! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Lisa said...

I finished a few days ago but I've been busy and didn't have a chance to write up my thoughts. I also started writing it more like a review so I took some time changing my comments.

I've started another book but it isn't really pulling me in. I think it might have been something you liked so I'm going to keep pushing myself.

Carole McDonnell said...

Thanks so much for the great review, Lisa! Ah me, that ending always divides folks. Some love it, some hate it. -C

Lisa said...

Hi Carol,
True, you can't please everyone. The story did allude to the fact that it would end that way but I had hoped otherwise.