Sunday, April 5, 2009

When they're only memories

Our pets leave lasting imprints on our hearts, but around us, only memories.

Here is Precious laying on my husbands lap.

Precious wasn't originally my cat. Years ago, a different life, a different husband, Precious was my previous husband's daughter's cat. When she moved, much to my happiness, I inherited her cat.
I was quite attached to Precious, so it was a great relief!

Leibchen, the resident cat, wasn't all to pleased when Precious joined our house, and growled and became all moody, running away from me if he saw me holding Precious. But they became fast friends through out their life.

One of the cat names used in my book, Into This Mind was originally a nicknames for Precious. His nicknames were:
* Pookachoo
* Poopachoo
* Frat boy
* Baby boy (he was the youngest)
* Fat cat (started getting a bit rolly polly at one
point)

Precious was insistent about sitting on our laps, even if there was a laptop there, we had to move it as he would paw until he had his place.

The first time I ever saw a seizure was with Precious. I grabbed the phone, wanting to call 911 before I realized that I couldn't. I was so distressed I had to dial the number 3 times. It wasn't the seizures that killed him though, although the meds might have attributed to his kidneys shutting down. Precious died November 8, 2007, he was about 15 years old.

For those people dear to us, we have all sorts of tangle items, the t-shirt they gave us or the afghan that they made for us, something that we can hold and remember and treasure. But with our furry friends, it's only the memories to sustain us.

If you have a memory of your pet posted on your blog, let me know, and I'll include it in the side bar on mine. And please, share your memories here! My way of having something tangible to remember my babies.

3 comments:

Spy Scribbler said...

Oh, what a sweetie! Ohmigosh, Lisa, I would've been frantic. I'm not nearly at good at dealing with a pet's death as you. Leo has been dead for nearly three years, and I finally talked about him on the blog a little bit, LOL.

Bevie said...

When my Baby Boy died a few years back I swore I would never again have a cat (or any animal) around the house. I just couldn't bear the thought of going through the loss again. Of course, now we have Firestar.

Animals often give us the love we wish we could get from people.

Bevie said...

Hi Lisa!

I'm giving you an award. You can claim it from my blog: The Great Sea.